Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Self-Publishing Myths and Legends

So, I decided to pick up this book, "The Fine Art of Self-Publishing: The Contracts and Services of 45 Self-Publishing Companies Analyzed, Ranked and Exposed." Seriously, if you ever have or are considering self-publishing, you should definitely read this book.

I have several self-published books, some of which are very good. I also have a few that have very noticeable typographical errors that would alert your inner English teacher too. Don't pretend you haven't ever read something where a period or a comma is out of place and it didn't secretly bug you. OK, maybe I AM the only one.

Yet, I digress.

I'm not into slamming the businesses of others, but from what I've read so far, the more advertised self-publishing places are also the ones more than likely to rip you off. You get what you pay for, and sometimes, you don't even get that. I applied to a self-publishing outfit that said for a modest investment of around $4K, they would put up to $20K worth of promotion, publishing, and marketing into my book.

The introductory letter itself set off an alarm. The acquisition editor made a typographical error in the letter. Who does that? And would I want someone who makes a simple spelling mistake in a letter supposed to be professional publish my book?

Secondly, the $20K made little sense to me, especially the stipulation that while they claimed they would spend that much, they didn't/wouldn't account for it. I could write you a check for $20K and tell you it's good, but would you take my just word for it in a business relationship ?

Exactly. I tore up the contract. If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment