Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Lost Testament?

It's official.

After some prayer and careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that renaming "The Last Testament" to "The Lost Testament" is the right thing to do.

Another fiction work recently released called "The Last Testament" has a "Da Vinci Code"-style plot and, according to the synopsis on Amazon.com, very little in common with my novel, except the archetype of a hidden scripture authored by Christ. "The Book of Love" is close too; same archetypal hidden scripture and action packed.

And, there is actually "The Lost Testament," written about 14 years ago with, you guessed it, a plot surrounding a hidden scripture by Christ.

It happens. Someone comes up with a hot plot, genre, or topic and everyone jumps on it. Perhaps, if I had stayed the course, you'd be reading my Last Testament years ago instead of "The Lost Testament" this summer.

I believe it had to happen this way. Only a few people saw the early drafts of this book, and trust me, they were not good. One of my good friends and former co-workers Bob Yost said the original version was detestable and, he being a former minister at the time, called me onto the carpet as a Christian for writing such filth. I've always carried that with me, Bob, as a motivating tool to write a book free of much of the garbage in books today.

Besides, none of those books are Christ-centered or African-American, which I believe will prove to be the difference. I believe some Christians are tired of reading how Christ supposedly didn't rise from the dead and that the church is some large, multi-media, secret society-laden conglomerate bent on controlling the world through intimidation and secrecy. This "Lost Testament" is evidence Christ did rise. . .and while there's no explicit secret society involvement, it leads one to wonder: what REALLY happened to Violet October and who did it?

I'm a little nervous, as I replaced a character with another villain, upped his villainy, and added the interesting-to-write character of Violet October. But hey, isn't that what editors are for? See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. This book will be a necessary read for anyone who loves a good thriller, the timeless battle between good and evil and the power of love. Can't wait for its release! I'm SO proud of you. Now, everyone will know what your family and I have known all along.

    ReplyDelete